The state of Colorado requires Colorado Springs Utilities – as a water provider – to protect our community’s drinking water from contamination that could result from backflow conditions.
- Develop and implement a written backflow prevention program.
- Notify the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment of any suspected or confirmed backflow events
- Ensure that they do not create conditions that would favor backflow at any of their facilities or throughout the water distribution system
- Survey commercial businesses and multi-family dwellings to ensure that approved backflow prevention devices are installed and operating
- Ensure that backflow prevention assemblies are tested annually and records kept for compliance
For questions about backflow prevention, call (719) 668-4388 or email