Phase I of the Southern Delivery System (SDS) will begin commercial operation this week after more than six years of construction.
SDS is a regional project that will deliver water to Colorado Springs, Fountain, Security and Pueblo West.
The first phase of the project was completed on time and more than $160 million under budget.
Phase I includes these core components:
- Connection to the North Outlet Works of Pueblo Dam
- 50 miles of pipeline to transport raw water
- Three raw water pump stations (50 millions of gallons per day (MGD) capacity each)
- Treatment plant (50 MGD) to purify the water
- Treated water pump station and pipelines to move the water into the existing distribution system for our customers.