Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is a federally funded program designed to help eligible low-income households with winter home heating costs. LEAP is not intended to pay the entire cost of your home heating. LEAP benefits are available to all eligible persons without regard to race, color, sex, age, handicap, national origin, political beliefs or religious beliefs.
The LEAP program runs from November 1 through April 30. Applications for the current LEAP heating season are now available.
You may qualify for LEAP assistance if:
- You pay home heating costs to Colorado Springs Utilities as your energy provider or as part of your rent.
- You are a permanent legal resident of the United States and Colorado or you have household members that are U.S. citizens.
- You provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.
- Your maximum family household income falls within the guidelines given below. "Household" refers to those who live in the residence and are financially dependent.
The income guidelines for LEAP recipients:
|For each additional person $594|
Verification of Lawful Presence
State law requires applicants for LEAP must provide additional documents with each LEAP application. A copy of one of the following valid identifications must be provided:
- A Colorado Driver License; or a Colorado Identification Card
- A United States military card or military dependent's card
- A United States Merchant Mariner card
- A Native American Tribal document
- Any other document authorized by rules adopted by the Department of Revenue (DOR).
- All applicants for LEAP must complete, sign, and date the affidavit located on page three of the application.
Where do I get a LEAP application?
* If you receive Social Security Income, please submit your application before January 1. Your LEAP eligibility may be affected by the Annual Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA). *
LEAP Applications may be submitted by:
- Mailing application using postage paid envelope provided to LEAP, P.O. Box 39200, Colorado Springs, CO 80949
- Drop-off at the Colorado Springs Utilities Customer Service Center at 111 S. Cascade Ave.
- Completed applications can be scanned and emailed to Leaphelp@discovermygoodwill.org
How long does it take for approval?
- LEAP has 30 days to approve or deny an application from the date it is received.
LEAP Application Status
- To inquire about the status of your LEAP application, please call HEAT HELP at 866-432-8435
Additional LEAP Assistance
- Can’t afford to fix your furnace? If your home does not have heat and you qualify for low-income energy assistance (LEAP), Energy Outreach can coordinate emergency furnace repair or replacement of your heating system. Call toll-free 855-4-MY-HEAT (855-469-4328) for help.