The Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) is a federally funded program designed to help eligible low-income households with winter home heating costs. It is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating.
The LEAP is available from Nov. 1, 2014 through April 30, 2015.
You may qualify for LEAP assistance if:
- You pay home heating costs to Colorado Springs Utilities as your energy provider or as part of your rent.
- You are a permanent legal resident of the United States and Colorado or you have household members that are U.S. citizens.
- You provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.
- Your maximum family household income falls within the guidelines given below. Household refers to those who live in the residence and are financially dependent.
LEAP benefits are available to all eligible persons without regard to race, color, sex, age, handicap, national origin, political beliefs or religious beliefs.
2014-2015 LEAP income requirements
Verification of lawful presence
State law requires LEAP applicants provide additional documents with each application. A copy of one of the following valid identifications must be provided:
- Colorado driver's license or a Colorado identification card
- U.S. military card or military dependent's added current season info card
- U.S. Merchant Mariner card
- Native American Tribal document
- Any other document authorized by rules adopted by the Department of Revenue (DOR)
Where do I get a LEAP application?
- AVAILABLE AFTER NOV. 4: Download it at discovermygoodwill.org/LEAP or colorado.gov/cdhs/LEAP
- Colorado Springs Utilities Customer Service Center at 111 S. Cascade Ave.
- Colorado Springs Utilities payment drop boxes located throughout the city
- El Paso County Department of Human Services, 1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd.
All applicants for LEAP must complete, sign, and date the affidavit located on page 3 of the application. If you receive Social Security Income, please submit your application before Jan. 1, 2015. Your LEAP eligibility may be affected by the Annual Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA).
Submitting your LEAP application
- U.S. Mail: LEAP, P.O. Box 39200, Colorado Springs, CO 80949
- Drop off: Colorado Springs Utilities Customer Service Center at 111 S. Cascade Ave.
- Drop-off: Colorado Springs Utilities payment drop boxes located throughout the city
- Electronic: Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax: 719-633-9098
How long does it take for approval?
LEAP has 50 days to approve or deny an application from the date it is received.
Checking your application status
To inquire about the status of your application, call 866-432-8435 or 888-775-5327.
Learn about other assistance program by using the related links on this page.