LEAP is a federally funded program designed to help eligible low-income households with winter home heating costs. It is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating.
The LEAP program runs Nov. 1, 2013 through April 30, 2014. Applications for the current LEAP heating season are now available.
You may qualify for LEAP assistance if:
- You pay home heating costs to Colorado Springs Utilities as your energy provider or as part of your rent.
- You are a permanent legal resident of the United States and Colorado or you have household members that are U.S. citizens.
- You provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.
- Your maximum family household income falls within the guidelines below. “Household” means a person who lives with you and for whom you are financially responsible.
Eligibility for LEAP is based on a number of factors including household size and income.
|2013 - 2014 Heating season income guidelines for LEAP recipients|
Maximum gross monthly income
(Effective Nov. 1, 2013 throught April 30, 2014)
Where do I get a LEAP application?
- Colorado Springs Utilities Customer Service office 111 S. Cascade and payment drop boxes throughout the city.
- Download an application at discovermygoodwill.org/LEAP or colorado.gov/cdhs/LEAP.
- El Paso County Department of Human Services, 1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd., Colorado Springs (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Note: If you receive Social Security Income, please submit your application before Jan. 1, 2014. Your LEAP eligibility may be affected by the Annual Cost Of Living Adjustment, or COLA.
Verification of lawful presence
State law requires that LEAP applicants must provide additional documents with their application. A readable copy of one of the following valid identifications must be provided:
- A Colorado drivers license or a Colorado identification card
- A United States military card or military dependent's card
- A United States Merchant Mariner card
- A Native American Tribal document
- Any other document authorized by rules adopted by the Department of Revenue (DOR).
- All LEAP applicants for must complete, sign and date the affidavit located on page three of the application.
LEAP applications may be submitted by:
- Mailing application using postage paid envelope provided to LEAP, PO Box 39200, Colorado Springs, CO 80949
- Drop-off at Colorado Springs Utilities' Customer Service Office at 111 S. Cascade Ave. (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Drop-off at one of the Colorado Springs Utilities payment drop boxes.
- Fax completed application and verification to LEAP at 719-633-9098.
- Completed applications can be scanned and emailed to Leaphelp@discovermygoodwill.org.
LEAP application status
To inquire about the status of your LEAP application, call HEAT HELP at 866-432-8435.