Project COPE provides utilities payment assistance to families and individuals struggling financially due to a personal crisis or emergency, regardless of income. We are the only local organization that dedicates its entire funding to utilities payment assistance year-round.
To be eligible for Project COPE assistance, you must:
- Be a Colorado Springs Utilities customer.
- Have a past due balance.
- Experience an emergency situation.
- First apply for LEAP assistance. If LEAP assistance is no longer available, or if you do not qualify for LEAP, you may apply for Project COPE assistance.
- Meet with one of our partner agencies.
Eligible customers may receive Project COPE assistance once per year.
Apply: Call Pikes Peak United Way 2-1-1. You may also apply through one of our partner agencies. Please check area served prior to contacting an organization. View a list of agencies.
For more than 20 years, with the help of our customers, Project COPE has provided assistance to customers facing utility disconnection. We work closely with not-for-profit organizations throughout the city to manage the program and administer funds to neighbors in need.
One hundred percent of your contribution goes toward assisting our friends and neighbors in our own community.
Even better ... you’re donation will be doubled, thanks to a matching funds grant from Colorado Springs Utilities.
Think of the difference you can make with:
- A gift of $30 when matched becomes $60 to help Colorado Springs children keep warm this winter.
- A donation of $50 becomes $100 to allow a family to cook a warm meal and have running water in their kitchen and bathroom.
- A contribution of $100 becomes $200 to bring heat, lights and water to an older couple struggling to live on a limited income that’s been further reduced by the recession.
Colorado Springs Utilities will send a confirmation letter within 10 business days. At the end of the year, we will send you a letter stating the amount of your annual donation.
To apply for Project COPE, contact Pikes Peak United Way at 2-1-1.
For answers to program administration questions, contact:
- Phone: 719-448-4800 (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- E-mail: email@example.com