The Water Use Efficiency Plan reflects the unique characteristics and the core values of the Colorado Springs community, as well as demonstrates our long-standing and deep-rooted commitment to water conservation and efficient water use.
A water efficiency plan meeting Colorado Water Conservation Board guidelines is required for us to receive support and funding from the State of Colorado. In addition to these requirements, other factors that drive the need for an updated plan include:
- Increased public awareness of the need to conserve due to regional drought and five years of water restrictions since 2002
- Higher customer expectations regarding Utilities’ role in promoting water conservation
- Changes in statewide water appliance standards and advancements in water-efficient technologies
- Continued population growth and increased competition for state and regional water resources
- An updated Integrated Water Resource Plan is being written concurrently