Planning is integral to everything we do. It is especially important in determining how we meet the future energy needs of our customers.
At the core of this work is our Electric and Natural Gas Integrated Resource Plans (IRPs) that support our Energy Vision and its strategic pillars – Economic, Environment, Resiliency and Innovation.
Our energy IRPs are a roadmap to meet forecasted energy demand using both supply and demand side resources to ensure resilient, reliable and cost-effective energy that is environmentally sustainable.
After an extensive public process, the Utilities Board has committed to a new energy future that is cost-effective, resilient and environmentally sustainable with the approval of Portfolio 17. Aligned with our Energy Vision, the plan achieves an 80% carbon reduction by 2030 and decommissions all our coal generation by 2030, including the downtown Martin Drake Power Plant no later than 2023.
To enable the decommissioning of the Martin Drake Power Plant no later than 2023, temporary natural gas generators will be placed at the site to ensure system reliability. Once new transmission projects are complete in the coming years, generation will no longer be needed in downtown Colorado Springs and these units will be relocated.
“This is a historic decision for the future of our utility and this city,” said Utilities Board Chairwoman Jill Gaebler. “It sets us on a path to best meet our strategic focus of balancing rates, reliability and relationships.”
Through the utility’s sustainable energy plan, it will:
- Commit to its community with industry-leading reliability and resiliency and support the economic growth of the region.
- Benefit customers by maintaining competitive and affordable rates and advance energy efficiency.
- Reduce carbon emissions at least 80% by 2030 and 90% by 2050.
- Increase renewable energy and incorporate storage resources.
- Decommission all coal generation by 2030 and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.
- Integrate new technologies responsibly by modernizing its grid and partner with its customers to create distributed energy resources throughout the community.