Holiday LED Light Exchange
Now through Dec. 21, electric customers can drop off old holiday light strands at our Conservation and Environmental Center and receive up to $15 off* the purchase of select Celebrations by Ace Brand Holiday LED light sets at participating local Ace Hardware stores.
Your old lights will be recycled and funds will be donated to Project COPE, the only local organization that dedicates its entire funding to utilities payment assistance year-round.
*One $5 coupon per strand exchanged. Limit 3.
Benefits of LED holiday lights
LED holiday lights consume 90-percent less electricity than old strands and have the following advantages:
- Safer: LEDs are much cooler than incandescent lights, reducing the risk of combustion or burnt fingers.
- Sturdier: LEDs are made with epoxy lenses, not glass, and are much more resistant to breakage.
- Longer lasting: The same LED string could still be in use 40 holiday seasons from now.
- Easier to install: Up to 25 strings of LEDs can be connected end-to-end without overloading a wall socket.
Can't make it to the Conservation and Environmental Center? Visit your local ACE Hardware store from 12 to 3 p.m. on select days for in-store exchanges, with the exception of the Nov. 8 event which is from 6 to 8 p.m. Click on the calendars below to view dates and locations:
Holiday Lighting Safety
- When hanging outdoor lights, keep ladders away from power lines.
- Don't hang lights in trees near power lines.
- If using an extension cord, make sure it is rated for the intended use.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires - they should not be warm to the touch.
- Unplug cords when you string lights.
- Do not leave lights on unattended. Unplug lights before going to sleep.
While you're here ...
Check out what lights work in the best places, and how you can save energy and money.