Recycle your old holiday lights
Whether you've got lights that don't work or you're simply looking to get more efficient, you can recycle those holiday lights at our Conservation and Environmental Center.
Bring your old lights to the center November 1 through December 23. Receive up to $15 toward the purchase of ENERGY STAR® LED lights at ACE Hardware stores.
All lights will be recycled with proceeds benefitting Project COPE, which provides utilities payment assistance to families or individuals struggling due to a personal crisis or emergency, regardless of income.
Can't make it to the Conservation and Environmental Center? Here's a list of scheduled exchanges at local ACE Hardware stores. Exchanges are available from 12 to 3 p.m. except where noted*:
ACE Hardware Bon: Nov. 1 and 23
ACE Hardware Garden of the Gods: Nov. 2 and 24
ACE Hardware Austin Bluffs: Nov. 7* (6-8 p.m.), Dec. 20
ACE Hardware Circle: Nov. 8 and Dec. 14
ACE Hardware South Academy: Nov. 14 and Dec. 13
ACE Hardware Uintah: Nov. 15 and Dec. 7
ACE Hardware Stetson Hills: Nov. 21 and Dec. 19
ACE Hardware Northgate: Nov. 22 and Dec. 6
Holiday Lighting Safety
- When hanging outdoor lights, keep ladders away from power lines.
- Don't hang lights in trees near power lines.
- If using an extension cord, make sure it is rated for the intended use.
- Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires - they should not be warm to the touch.
- Unplug cords when you string lights.
- Do not leave lights on unattended. Unplug lights before going to sleep.
While you're here ...
Check out what lights work in the best places, and how you can save energy and money.