Project COPE provides utilities payment assistance to families and individuals struggling financially due to a personal crisis or emergency, regardless of income. It is the only local organization that dedicates its entire funding to utilities payment assistance year-round.
To be eligible for assistance, you must:
- Be a Colorado Springs Utilities customer
- Have a past due balance
- Experience an emergency situation
- Between Nov. 1 and April 30, all eligible customers must apply for Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) assistance. If you quality for LEAP assistance, you must be approved before requesting additional assistance from Project COPE. If LEAP assistance is no longer available, or you do not qualify, you may apply for Project COPE assistance.
- Meet with one of our partner agencies.
Eligible customers may receive Project COPE assistance once every 12 months.
For a referral to a Project COPE agency, call Pikes Peak United Way 2-1-1.
There's nothing planned or defined about an emergency or crisis. They can hurt young and old alike - from parents struggling to make ends meet to elderly facing an extreme medical condition.
We experience people like this every day at Citizen's Option to Provide Energy, or Project COPE, and the need is growing.
For more than 20 years, with the help of our customers, Project COPE has provided assistance to customers facing utility disconnection. We work closely with not-for-profit organizations throughout the city to manage the program and administer funds to neighbors in need.
One hundred percent of your contribution goes toward assisting our friends and neighbors in our own community.
Even better...you're donation is doubled thanks to a matching funds grant from Colorado Springs Utilities.
- Donate online
- Complete the form on the back of your utilities bill
- Call 719-448-4800
- Mail your donation check payable to Project COPE to:
Colorado Springs Utilities Foundation
P.O. Box 2278
Colorado Springs, CO 80901-2278
Colorado Springs Utilities will send a confirmation letter within 10 business days. At the end of the year, you will receive a letter stating the amount of your annual donation.