Colorado Springs Utilities and the Energy Resource Center have partnered to provide free energy and water efficiency improvements for residential customers that have a household gross income at or below 250 percent of federal poverty guidelines.
Qualifying customers receive an in-home energy and water audit along with various improvements, if needed, such as:
- Additional insulation to attics, sidewalls and crawlspaces
- Up to six (6) compact florescent light bulbs in high usage areas
- Inefficient refrigerator may be replaced with an energy efficient refrigerator, if eligible
- Existing showerheads and 1 toilet may be replaced with low-flow models if you qualify
- A standing pilot furnace may be replaced with an 80 percent efficient or greater model under two circumstances, which are: (1) if the furnace is 20 years old or (2) if the furnace is less than 20 years old and operating at 60 percent efficiency or less. The customer must contribute $500 toward the cost of the new furnace. (Boiler systems do not quality for replacement.)
For more information, and to find out if you qualify for HEAP, contact the Energy Resource Center at 591-0772.